In 1923, as compared to prior to World War One, the Northern Pacific found itself with a significant shortage of freight equipment. To remedy this, the road began a major program to rebuild the fleet. Between 1923 and 1932, the NP, through a combination of acquisitions and home building, added 4,500 double sheathed box cars to the roster. These cars were double sheathed, with fishbelly center sills and the trademark NP radial roof. The first 4,000 cars were delivered with 7/8 Murphy corrugated ends. The last 500 came with 3/5 Dreadnaught ends. All cars received a Miner Ideal lever type hand brake (see photo above). The construction information for these cars is as follows:
|Series Start||Series End||Builder||Year(s)|
|11000||11999||American Car & Foundry||1923|
|13500||13999||Pacific Car & Foundry||1925|
Excellent kits of these cars are available in HO Scale from Sunshine Models.
Back to Gallery - Box & Auto Cars