Ralston Steel Car Co. Photo, Collection of Jeff Halloin

This 50 foot steel double door boxcar was built by Ralston Steel Car Company in October, 1936, part of series 71250 - 71349. The cars had a 14'6" door opening, Youngstown steel doors, Viking roofs, Dreadnaught ends and Ajax power hand brakes. During 1939 and 1940, at total of 81 cars, 71250 - 71310, and 71317 - 71337, were assigned to auto parts service, and were equipped with perforated steel interior lining, at which time the auxiliary doors were permanently closed. Twelve cars, 71338 - 71349, were equipped with racks for axle loading, and also had the auxiliary doors closed; these 12 cars were re-numbered 56750 - 56763 in 1947. (Pere Marquette Revenue Freight Cars, Arthur B. Million and John C. Paton, Hundman Publishing: Mukilteo, WA, 2001, pp. 86 - 87).

Back to Gallery - Box & Auto Cars
Back to Gallery - Shot of the Month - April 2002